Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Sports Fanatics

I listen to a lot of talk radio during my job as pizza delivery guy, don't ask where unless you plan to tip well, today the topic came up about whether guys who are sports fans could be friends with guys who aren't. Personally I am a sports fan, mainly hockey but I know enough about everything from football to baseball to be considered a fan of all sports. I have friends who are guys, who don't like sports. Growing up all my friends loved sports, however today that is not the case, two of my best friends don't follow sports yet we get along great.

All the talk of how sports fans phase out their non-sports fans friends is just ridicolous to me, there has to be balance. I can talk sports with people, yet I can also talk about the upcoming election or that I'm excited about an upcoming movie. If anyone actually reads this I'd like to hear from you about it.

There is a guy who lived near me last year who's life revolved around sports, and he believed sports revolved around him. For name sake will call him Joe. Joe watched everything and was a big bandwagon jumper, if his team wasn't in it he found a way to be a fan for one of the teams still left. Maybe thats why he's a Detroit sports fan loves the Redwings come playoff time however during the regular season couldn't name their second line center, big Tigers fan only however that may have faltered as they struggled out of the gate, Pistons fan who may have became a Celtics fan since they could actually make it past the eastern Conference finals and win, but god forbid he root for the Lions, he's a Packers fan. Joe was the guy who wore a Redsox jersey late in the MLB playoffs last season just so he could show off. For Joe and the rest of you bandwagon jumpers I have to words for you get off, pick a team and try to show some commitment.

I am a life long New Jersey Devils, New York Mets, Dallas Cowboys and New Jersey Nets fans, I grew up in Jersey and my Dad turned me into a Cowboys fan at a very young age. Other than the Devils winning three cups in my lifetime I've had my share of disapointments in sports... Mets collapse last season, Nets might be moving to Brooklyn, Tony Romo botched snap, Patrick Roy shutting out New Jersey in Game 6 of the 2003 stanley cup finals. It's not that hard to be a dedicated fan, it's fun to be there from the begining and watch your team either assemble or dissemble itself over a season. For those of you who jump from champion to champion and can wear a Redwings jersey and Celtic's championship hat stay away from my teams, help ticket sales, but don't call yourself a fan, your not.

No comments: