Round One
1. San Jose Sharks vs. 8. Anaheim Ducks
The battle for California is unexpectedly taking place in round one this year. San Jose has won the president's trophy which I've always believed to be a curse, however that won't effect the Sharks and goalie Evgeni Nabokov in round one as they'll easily swallow the aquatic bird.
Prediction: San Jose in 5
2. Detroit Redwings vs. 7. Columbus Blue Jackets
I really want to pick Columbus, my heart tells me Steve Mason and the Jackets will be able to give Detroit a scare. But my head and common sense tells me the defending champs are simply too strong. The big story line to watch here is whether Chris Osgood or Ty Conklin start in net for Detroit.
Prediction: Detroit in 6
3. Vancouver Canucks vs. 6. St. Louis Blues
The reason Vancouver made Roberto Luongo captain was to take them to the playoffs and beyond. The Blues have a strong goalie themselves in Chris Mason (no relation to Steve) but overall the Vancouver and the Sedin twins are simply better then St. Louis.
Prediction: Vancouver in 5
4. Chicago Blackhawks vs. 5. Calgary Flames
Chicago swept the season series and I'm expecting that added confidence edge to help the young Chicago team onto the second round. If not for Detroit's ridiculous deep pockets, Chicago would be the toast of the Central division. While the Wings have their hands full with Columbus expect Jonathon Toews and Patrick Sharp to lead the Blackhawks to round two.
Prediction: Chicago in 5
Round Two
4. Chicago Blackhawks vs. 1. San Jose Sharks
Here is were the president's trophy curse will strike the Sharks. Chicago is young, easy going and has an ounce of playoff expertise in goalie Nikolai Khabibulin, who won a cup with Tampa Bay. While I want to pick Claude Lemieux to make a run to the Cup, I have a feeling the Hawks will be flying to the conference finals.
Prediction: Chicago in 7
3. Vancouver Canucks vs. 2. Detroit Redwings
Looking at Detroit's roster it is almost not fair to opposing teams, however the Wings have struggled against teams from Canada the past couple years and as we all know Vancouver is in Canada. Also with two goalies (Conklin and Osgood) who haven't played all-worldly during the season it's quite possible the Canuck could pull the upset.
Prediction: Vancouver in 6
Conference Finals
Vancouver Canucks vs. Chicago Blackhawks
Well, I bet I'm one of the few people in America with this as my Western Conference final. Unfortunately for Chicago I think the dream ends here for there legion of young, very fast, skilled players. Vancouver is a tough place to play and that will come in handy in this long series.
Prediction: Vancouver in 7
So the playoffs start Wednesday night be sure to watch, also be sure to check back here tomorrow for my Stanley Cup Finals prediction.
No comments:
Post a Comment