On paper BU should run away with the National Title, they have two Hobey Baker finalists including winner Matt Gilroy (the second terrier to win it since Chris Drury), and have been college hockey's most consistent team all season. Miami hobbled into the NCAA tournament with help from the selection committee after losing to Northern Michigan in the CCHA tournament.
Having seen both teams play, Miami in person and BU through the ESPN family of networks, I'm expecting this game to be much closer than many expect. Both teams have showed their ability to score in addition to the ability to win close games, the big difference when the puck drops at 7 will be the RedHawks ability to take advantage of BU's mistakes.
In each game of the NCAAs BU has played down at least one period, be it a weak goal or simple lack of energy it has always been there. Unlike New Hampshire and Vermont, Miami will catch BU off guard when they hit the lull. Miami is a team that has that killer instinct to put teams away, something I saw when I visited Oxford earlier this year, and with the strong goaltending of freshman Cody Reichard I can see the CCHA bringing home a national title, a first for the RedHawks.
Final prediction:
Miami wins first national title 4-2.
Be sure to check back tomorrow after the NHL's playoff pairings have been determined for more hockey news and analysis.
No comments:
Post a Comment