Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Riddle me this...

I claim to be quite the college hockey enthusiast, I've covered division one hockey for the past two years in one of the nation's top conferences. Why then did I go a pitiful 1-for-4 in my NCAA hockey bracket and an impressive 3-for-4 in college basketball? 

I don't have the answer, however I'd like to blame it on simplicity that is NCAA college basketball, anyone with a half a brain could fill in all #1 seeds and have a legitimate shot at picking the Final Four correctly. It's common knowledge, #16 seeds don't beat #1's and no team ranked below #8 is going make it past the sweet sixteen. The Frozen Four, now that is a bit more difficult to wrap your mind around. 

Boston University (picked that one), Miami, Vermont and Bemidji State? I don't know anyone who picked Vermont and Bemidji as college hockey's top four teams. I guess it is all simply another reason to love the fastest game on earth, hockey is one of the few sports that the game is even when both teams step on the ice. In college basketball or football teams from the power conferences are bigger, stronger and have deeper pockets for scholarships. 

In college hockey, teams like Vermont and Bemidji prove that any team at any give day could step onto the ice and take it to a #1 seed like Notre Dame. That's why coming up April 9th-11th I'll be rooting for Bemidji and Vermont to skate for the national title.

No comments: